Tuesday 9 February 2010

Moel Famau - Ruthin

On Saturday, after being inspired by the BBC programme "Walking Weatherman" I decided to follow in the footsteps of Derek Brockway and explore Moel Famau, in the Clwydian Range, an area of outstanding natural beauty. It was a bright, sunny day and the route (which started from Bwlch Penbarras car park-a few miles from Ruthin) led me on an upland walk passing through heather moorland & ancient burial cairns to North Wales` most iconic peak.
 At the summit I came across the remains of the Egyptian style monument, The Jubilee tower, built to celebrate the golden jubilee of George 111. It was destroyed by a storm in 1862 and just the base still stands. From here on a clear day it is possible to see the Isle of Man and much of the N.W. of England. There were plenty of people walking up and down the route which took me 2hrs from start to finish. The approximate distance is 4 miles. It was a fantastic place to visit and I cant wait to go back again. Next time I hope to take a picnic and a friend with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment