Friday 13 March 2009

Brunel Cycleway part of the Celtic Trail National Route 4

My bicycle was unceremoniously dragged out of storage. It hasn't seen the light of day for a good few years. It looks rather neglected covered in rust, spiders and cobwebs.

It was originally sold to me by a man who claimed to have sold Moses his first bike. I was persuaded by him and my (male) friends to get a man's bike. "They are much stronger and more fit for purpose". I'm not quite sure what purpose they thought I had in mind but here I am the not very proud and a little bit scared owner of a man's bike.

There is a free car park at Neyland Marina. The cycle path runs from here to Haverfordwest. The easy route is popular with families.

We renewed our acquaintance on the Brunel Cycleway. A wonderful 14 traffic free miles of well surfaced and almost level route from Neyland Marina to Haverfordwest. It passes through Westfield Pill Reserve a sheltered inlet from the Cleddau Waterway, haven to wildlife and rare plants. Indeed the whole trail runs through quiet open countryside with glimpses of the river much of the way and just a few welsh cottages dotted here and there.

I went early in the hope of spotting otters. My dad has seen them on several occasions during early morning rides. I wasn't so lucky. Probably the creaking and crunching of my protesting bike demanding more oil and grease before the next trip warned the creatures to stay out of sight.

After such a glorious trip though, I think I might just indulge it and try again next weekend followed by breakfast and fresh coffee in the Brunel Cafe at the marina.
Anne I

No comments:

Post a Comment